It’s been starting to get a little on the cold side here in the bay area. Although I feel like the weather can’t make up it’s mind because just yesterday it was nearly 90 degrees. It’s crazy going from hot to cold and vice-versa from one day to the next. And although I really hate cold weather days…I must say that the ONE thing I absolutely love about cold/rainy days, is being able to really enjoy a nice hot bowl of soup! #mmmm #meantojaunasopita
Definitely a must try during the cold / rainy season!! The day I actually decided to make this soup I can’t say it was actually very cold…but when that craving hits, I have to satisfy it! LOL Now, this recipe is SUPER quick and easy so don’t expect to take more than 25-30 minutes to finish preparing this. #OHYEAH !
Sweet Potato Spinach Soup
Serves 3-5 people
Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Paleo
Author: Cynthia of OneSpicyPepper.com
- approx. 4 large organic sweet potatoes – peeled
- 2 large organic chicken breasts (to boil for chicken broth)
- 4 cups of organic baby spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp of dried Marjoram seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot on high heat, bring to a boil approx. 15 cups of water.
- Add your chicken breasts, sweet potatoes and olive oil to the pot; boil until the chicken is thoroughly cooked (approx. 10-15 minutes).
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked (and soft), cut them into large pieces and place into a food processor on high, until everything is thoroughly processed to a liquid/mash form.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the pot and store in the refrigerator.
- After the sweet potato has been processed into a mash form, add to the pot of chicken broth.
- Add the baby spinach with a few tbsps of chicken broth to the food processor and process until the spinach is liquified; transfer to the pot.
- Add the salt/pepper and continue to cook for another 5 minutes on low-medium heat, stirring all the ingredients together.
- Optional: Serve with a side of sauteed cumin chicken strips and fried plantain
You can enjoy this dish either with some warm tortillas, or like I did this time around with sauteed chicken and fried plantain. As with many dishes, there are so many ways to prepare this so this is just 1 of many delicious ways that I like to enjoy my beloved sweet potatoes.
I hope you enjoy this one as much as we did!