I hope all the lovely mothers out there had a fantastic Mother’s Day weekend! My fiancé unfortunately ended up getting really sick and so I decided to make him one of my special anti-gripa soups. Since he absolutely loves chicken veggie soup I thought I’d make my One Spicy Pepper version. And of course it has to be a little picante!! 🙂
It seriously came out SOOOOO good, and didn’t take too long to make. Aside from the broth obviously being hydrating, it also contains anti-inflammatory properties as well as a nice dose of vitamin C (+ many other cold-fighting benefits). I had to remind myself though, that I made it for him otherwise I would have ate it all! LOL
SPICY LIME VEGGIE CHICKEN SOUP
Serves 4-6 people
Gluten-Free / Dairy-Free / Paleo-Friendly
Prep time: 15 min / Cook time: 45 min
Author: Cynthia of OneSpicyPepper.com
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ large pot water (approximately 8-10 cups of water)
- 1 large white onion – chopped
- 6 garlic cloves – chopped
- 1 organic tomato – chopped
- 6 large organic carrots – thinly sliced at an angle
- 3 large red jalapenos – thinly sliced
- 4 large organic chicken breasts
- 3 cups organic butternut squash – chopped
- 4 cups organic baby russet potatoes – chopped, or sliced into small pieces
- 3 limes
- In a large pot, bring the chicken breasts to a boil over high heat for approx. 10-15 min or until the breasts are fully cooked (you will have to check them). Try not to over-cook them.
- In a sauce pan over med heat, add the olive oil and warm for about a minute.
- Add the onion, tomato, jalapenos and garlic to the sauce pan and saute for approx. 5-7 min.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove from the pot and start shredding each breast by hand. Set aside keeping warm, and leave the fresh chicken broth in the pot.
- Once the onion, tomato, jalapenos and garlic are done sautéing, transfer to a food processor and puree on high until smooth. You can add a little of the chicken broth to make the pureeing a little thinner consistency.
- Pour the puree back into the pot with the chicken broth and add the lime juice with the potatoes and butternut squash.
- Bring to another boil and cook for approx. 5-10 minutes or until the potatoes have slightly softened. You don’t want them mushy so keep an eye on it.
- Once the potatoes are cooked just right (not too hard; not too soft) add the shredded chicken and season to taste with salt.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and serve hot, garnished with freshly chopped cilantro and a lime wedge.
Optional: you can also garnish with some freshly sliced jalapenos too J #yum