One (of many) of my favorite dishes is a Mexican dish called Chilaquiles! You can technically make this so many different ways; and since you know by now I love to experiment 😊 … I decided to add a slight twist to the traditional dish this time with some mushrooms and leaving out the garnishes. 😬🙃
Shredded Turkey and Mushrooms with Fried Tortillas in Green Salsa
Serves 3-4 people
Gluten-free / Dairy-free / Nut-free / Egg-free
Author: Cynthia of OneSpicyPepper.com
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 10 corn tortillas cut into 8
- 2 cups of green salsa (can be homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cups of cooked shredded organic turkey breast
- 2 cups of sliced organic crimini mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped cilantro and shredded Daiya cheese
- In a medium sauce pan under medium-high heat, heat the olive oil.
- Start adding the tortilla strips to the pan and fry until they get slightly browned (about 2 minutes).
- Once the tortillas are done frying, set them aside in a plate covered with some paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Using the left over oil in the pan under low heat, add the green salsa, sliced mushrooms and shredded turkey; cook together for approximately 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the fried tortillas, mix and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes (less if you like the tortillas a little on the crunchier side).
- Serve hot!
Optional for this dish: garnish with cilantro and vegan cheese of your choice.